Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Music, WalMart and weirdness

So my lovely wife went to pick up some stuff from Freecycle tonight. Three hours later she's still gone. I call to find out where she is and she's out roaming around Wal Mart. The black hole that sucks all my money. Some people have boats, motorcycles, cars, guitars or other 'interesting' hobbies to spend money on. When I balance the checkbook I realize all of our money goes to Wal Mart. Urgh.

After working around the house a little (dishes and laundry ... just a hair to help) I fire up the Corvette to make sure it will run to drive to work tomorrow. Check the tires and realize that part of the reason it may have been handling a bit oddly is due to super-low tire pressure as much as it's in need of an alignment. I do know it needs an alignment though. About a year ago I was coming back from the exhuast shop after having an H pipe put on as well as connecting the rest to my new headers when I felt something a little weird in the back. Pulled over to the side of the road and had smoke pouring out of the driver's side rear wheelwell. My five year old still points to where we pulled over to remind me of where the Corvette broke down. Called a tow truck to get it home. Coming off the flatbed I see the rear wheel wobbling around like crazy. Come to find out it's the rear wheel bearing. Wouldn't you know that it's as expensive to replace wheel bearings as it is to put new trailing arms on. Decided as they were more than 40 years old it was a good time to replace them both. Ordered offset ones from Van Steel and after several weeks fighting with rusty bolts and a sawzall I was able to get the new ones on. Of course while I was at it I decided it would be a great time to replace the brake lines, clean up the calipers and otherwise rebuild the brake system. That led into a six month long project on weekends and any spare time I had. I think it is safe to say that I have rebuilt the entire suspension now though.

I am stoked about getting it out tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to start driving it more. Need to replace the water pump now. It gets too hot sitting in traffic. I've replaced everything but the water pump and radiator at this point. I'm expecting water pump is the culprit. When I flush the radiator it flows fine.

While wifie was gone I decided to mess with my old bass. My nice five string is at the old house for now. I'd been reading that a tube screamer, big muff and crybaby sound good with a bass so I tried that out. I'll have to agree that a tube screamer makes a crybaby sound sick. Very techno, crunchy stuff. I've not played bass with effects in a long time. I usually play my les paul as I know how it always sounds. For some reason my beautiful bride thinks I have too many guitars now. I've been told I shouldn't buy the super good deal Epi 335 on craigslist :(

I've seen some weird things in town recently that have really tripped me out. The best was the two big mean looking dudes driving crazy in a silver new Malibu with big pink butterfiles and a big Carolina Girl sticker on the back window. I was wondering if they were trying to be mean looking to cover up their relationship or if it was somebody else's car. The next best was a big dude on a small moped wearing a winter coat with a helmet over it. I'm not quite sure the logistics of that one. I don't know if he thought the moped was so powerful that he needed double padding or if the helmet was so big he needed the second layer. Really bizarre. Never know what you'll see around here with the freaks at the beach. A close runner up was (wish I'd been able to get a picture) one of those hoopty machines (old Chevy with 22+ inch weels) painted orange with a 01 on the side. As the to was higher than my van I couldn't tell if there was a confederate flag on top but I have a feeling that the NAACP wouldn't have been pleased in any event.

I reckon that's enough thoughts to think for one night. Going to bed to eat cheesy popcorn and watch Terminator.

Always think NKOTB are #1!!

No comments:

Post a Comment